In spiritual circles, you often hear the terms “intuitive healer” and “intuitive healing.” But what do these terms actually mean? What does it mean to be an intuitive healer? This type of healer is someone who specializes in facilitating people’s growth and healing by connecting to Source energy. By “Source energy” I mean the source of all, God, Goddess, the Divine. Intuitive healers are trained to listen deeply and receive divine guidance about what other people might need to do or remember in order to heal themselves.
Intuitive healers also help people live more intentional and spiritually connected lives. This means that healers must first work on themselves and train to understand how energy and intuition work.
What is Intuitive Healing?
Intuitive healing is the art and skill of activating a process of healing by receiving divine guidance. Intuitive healing sessions are typically a collaborative process. The healer and client work together to pinpoint the client’s issues or challenges. The healer can help the client ask the right questions that will invite the most aligned answers to come through. An intuitive healer is also typically trained to scan the client’s energy field, identify blockages on any level of being (spiritual, mental, emotional, physical), and clear those blockages.
An intuitive healing session can help the client feel refreshed, reenergized, more hopeful about the future, and able to recognize the best path for him or herself.
Healer, Heal Thyself
The journey of an intuitive healer often begins with that healer having to heal him or herself. It’s often through a crisis or catalyst in our lives that we recognize our true purpose and begin to develop our healing gifts. For me, the crisis that woke me up to my purpose as a healer was a medical diagnosis (you can read more of my story here). Since Western medicine had little to offer me, I had to carve out an alternative path to heal myself. Eventually, this led to the realization that I was meant to help others heal themselves as well.
The Qualities of an Intuitive Healer
As in any other profession, intuitive healers come in all different shapes, sizes, colors, and flavors. We all develop our own style and approach over time. But there are a few essential qualities that all good intuitive healers must possess. If you’re considering working with a healer, make sure that they have these qualities:
- The ability to listen deeply and reflectively
- Compassion and patience
- A non-judgmental, welcoming presence
- An attitude of respect, consideration, and deep caring
- An understanding that the healer and the client can learn from each other (i.e., not that the healer already knows everything)
- A finely tuned intuition and connection to the Divine
- The ability to communicate clearly
- The ability to interpret intuitive messages accurately
- Training in energy work, healing modalities, intuitive development, or any other area where the healer claims to be an expert
- A well-established spiritual practice in their own lives (i.e., daily meditation, breathing, journaling, etc — as healers, we must continually work on ourselves)
- A valid certification as an intuitive healer — don’t be afraid to ask for this if you’re considering working with someone new! We all have innate healing abilities, of course. But to actually work with people, an intuitive healer must go through a training program and learn a specific set of skills and techniques.
Who Can Become an Intuitive Healer?
Anyone can become an intuitive healer, since we all have the capacity to connect to the Divine. Healers-in-training must be committed to their own spiritual growth, to continually learn new things, and to be of service to others. Working as a healer is not easy. Often, working with clients can activate or awaken issues that we haven’t healed within ourselves. This means that a healer’s self-healing is never complete. To stay spiritually “fit” and to truly be of service, we have to work on our own healing every day.
If you’re feeling called to become an intuitive healer on your journey, here are a few suggestions to start:
- Read a lot about energy healing, intuition, spirituality, and consciousness. A few important authors to check out:
- Pema Chodron
- Barbara Brennan
- Jack Kornfield
- Marianne Williamson
- Ram Dass
- Eckhart Tolle
- Alan Watts
- Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Start with your own healing by engaging in meditation, yoga, deep breathing, journaling, therapy, and deep self-exploration.
- Find and complete an intuitive healing training program.
- Work with an intuitive healer. If you’d like to see if we’d be a good fit, you can book a discovery call with me here.
- Train in a specific modality to shift your healing and skills to the next level. For example, you can check out my Akashic Records training program to become a certified Akashic Records Reader.
I wish you much success and abundance on your journey, whether you’re working with an intuitive healer, looking for one, or interested in becoming a healer yourself. With persistence, patience, and the willingness to work on your own personal development, you can do it!